Tuesday, August 11, 2015

A Hidden Gem: Irie Shack, Cardiff


Adventures, cardiff, caribbean, food, irie shack

For a Sunday treat, we were expecting to go to go to one of my favourite Mexican restaurants, Amigos. Turn up and - it's closed! All dressed up, hungry and nowhere to go. 

Luckily my friend had earlier suggested to me a Caribbean place that was close by. Perfect opportunity to try it out, right? It's called the Irie Shack. I must say I've driven past it before and not even noticed it. It's one of those little gems. Exactly the same sort of gem as Amigos in fact.




It looks like a sort of pub from the outside, but they've done great things with the decor. Really authentic looking! 

Adventures, cardiff, caribbean, food, irie shack, milkshakeAdventures, cardiff, caribbean, food, irie shack

There's a wide variety of drinks available, including cocktails, mocktails, smoothies and shakes! I of course had the chocolate chip shake (above, left).

Adventures, cardiff, caribbean, food, irie shackAdventures, cardiff, caribbean, food, irie shack

For main I had a Pulled Jerk Chicken Roti (basically a wrap) with Sweet Potato Fries. Nom. 

Adventures, cardiff, caribbean, food, irie shack, jerk chicken
Pulled Jerk Chicken Roti with Sweet Potato Fries

Adventures, cardiff, caribbean, food, irie shack, tuna steak
Tuna Steak with Rice and Peas
The desert menu was just as intriguing. I had a Double Chocolate Cookie dough with ice cream. That's right. Honestly amazing. Delish!

Adventures, cardiff, caribbean, food, irie shack, cookie dough
Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough with Ice Cream
Adventures, cardiff, caribbean, food, irie shack, bubblegum, ice cream
Bubblegum Sundae
Such a nice relaxing place for a Sunday evening. It was quite a pleasant surprise when half way through our meal a singer got up on the little stage in the corner and did about an hour singing. She was so good! My friend waited all of two seconds to rave about how amazing she was! 

Adventures, cardiff, caribbean, food, irie shack

I was actually surprised at how busy it got throughout the evening, considering it's not on a main road or directly in the centre. 

I'd probably say this place would be perfect for a lazy day where you want a bit of an atmosphere and maybe a little drink and some gorgeous food. The singer mentioned that dancing is welcome! 


Like what you read? Follow me on BlogLovin' to keep updated with all my posts

bloglovin symbol

2 comments:

  1. I love Caribbean food and have been waiting for one to come to Cardiff since The Rocking chair closed down. This place sounds great, thanks for sharing

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Cardiff, but have never heard of Irie Shack! The food looks amazing and that cookie with ice cream looks awesome! Will definitely have to pay a visit soon!

    ReplyDelete